Le Voyage Extraordinaire de Samy

After leaving Les Planious, we make our way to Chamonix-Mont Blanc to kick off Le Tour du Mont Blanc. Today is a travel day and our itinerary involves five connections from Veynes to Chamonix (Grenoble, Aix-les-Bains-le-Revard, Annecy, La Roche-sur-Foron, St-Gervais-les-Bains-le-Fayet). Sam finds a movie poster for “Le Voyage Extraordinaire de Samy” at la gare Aix-les-Bains.

If someone out there with a much better grasp of French, please confirm my thought on the poster tagline. When I first saw, “Rien ne l’arête!” I read it as “Nothing stops him!” But upon a second look, I realized that the word that I knew for “(it) stops” was “arrête” not “arête”. So I pulled out le dictionnaire and learned that “arête” means fishbone. I’m guessing the tagline is a play on the homophones.

While they’re dropping an “r” from “arrête”, Sam’s also marveling at the French-dropped “m” from “Sammy”.

In any case, Sam finds this movie poster quite fitting as he makes his way to Chamonix-Mont Blanc!

No comments:

Post a Comment